This week in our Fire & Security industry news round-up we cover a growth of Intruder Alarm Sensors & Critical Infrastructure Protection markets, retailers’ vulnerability to cyber attacks and more…
Intruder alarm sensors market is on the rise
According to the latest research by IHS Markit, 68 million intruder alarm sensors were sold globally in 2016 of which, 41 percent were wireless. However, only 4% of those wireless sensors were destined for the large commercial sector. Residential and small-medium business sectors jointly accounted for the remaining 96% of the wireless sensor market. Although the use of wireless sensors remains limited in the commercial sector, the popularity of these products is on the rise for several reasons.
(Global Security Mag, 01/08/2017)
Retailers admit vulnerability to cyber attacks
Recently released Thales Data Threat Report, Retail Edition, shows that 43% of retailers had experienced a data breach in the last year, with a third (32%) claiming more than one. “These distressing breach rates serve as stark proof that data on any system can be attacked and compromised. Unfortunately, organisations keep spending on the same security solutions that worked for them in the past, but aren’t necessarily the most effective at stopping modern breaches.”
(Security World Market, 31/07/2017)
Protecting a gaming industry against DDoS
Distributed Denial of Service (DDoS) attacks represent a major threat to reputation and revenue within the entertainment industry. Gaming platforms and e-sports broadcasters are both attractive to cybercriminals looking to launch an attack because their high profiles and large subscriber bases provide them with a significant target for end user data harvesting, service disruption and criminality. This year we are seeing an evolution in DDoS attacks, raising the alarm for game developers to reconsider their cybersecurity.
(Security News Desk, 02/08/2017)
Critical Infrastructure Protection market is growing
The Critical Infrastructure Protection market size is expected to grow from $110.41 Billion in 2017 to $153.16 Billion by 2022, at a Compound Annual Growth Rate (CAGR) of 6.8% during the forecast period. The rise in security breaches and cyber-attacks, stringent government regulations and increasing adoption of best practices, and high investment in smart grid technologies are the major growth drivers of the market.
(PR Newswire, 03/08/2017)
BSIA – urgent clarification on future regulations is needed
Following news that a security firm is being investigated by the Security Industry Authority for allegedly supplying cloned badges to unlicensed stewards, the BSIA is calling for urgent clarification on the future of the regulatory regime for the private security industry. “Incidents such as the allegation of cloned badges being supplied to unlicensed stewards demonstrate the importance of clear and robust regulation for the security industry.”
(Security World Market, 01/08/2017)
Our weekly fire and security news round-up regularly feature supplier news, product launches, events, our own articles, and much more. Check back each week to catch up on the industry news affecting the fire & security sector collated by our team of fire & security recruiters.
Eligo Fire & Security are a leading Fire & Security recruitment agency specialising in jobs and recruitment across the sector. Companies we work with include major distributors, installers, manufacturers, integrators, consultants, and end users. Take a look at our company page to find out more.
If you have a news article you would like featured in our industry news or would like to work with Eligo Fire & Security to product content please do not hesitate to get in touch.